Hyperpigmentation is described as areas of abnormal darkening of the skin. This darkening can either be one spot or large patchy areas, depending on the cause. This condition is a result of inflammation and can be triggered by sun exposure, hormone fluctuations or skin injuries (acne lesions, a cut or a burn). Some skin types are more susceptible to hyperpigmentation than others. It is important to consult with a licensed skin health professional prior to using products to even skin discoloration, as high percentages of strong ingredients can cause further irritation and a worsening of the condition instead of improvement.
- Inflammation (caused by sun exposure, acne, hormonal shifts, or a cut or burn)
- Melanocytes produce pigment
- Packets of pigment travel from the melanocyte to the skin cells
- The pigment is distributed like an umbrella to protect the skin cells’ DNA from damage
- On the surface, the skin may have one small dark spot or be uniformly darker (as with a suntan)
Hyperpigmentation Facial Treatment
PCA Chemical Peel
PCA Skin Pigment Control Solution Set
For uneven skin tone in intimate areas such as bikini line, underarm and derriere, come see us for free consultation.